It often happens that you are required to give an explanation on specialized subjects to an audience of non-experts when you work at a university, a research institute, or a private company. A session of "Questions and answers" is usually scheduled after your talk. However, it is not supplementary but rather essential. In this course, the students will learn how to analyze the possible questions in advance and take them into explanation beforehand.
The aim of the course is to acquire the ability to orally explain the technical terms with the questions to be asked in mind.
1) to be able to analyze which parts are difficult to understand for non-experts when you give an explanation on specialized subjects.
2) to acquire the method to prepare your explanation taking 1) into account.
3) to be able to ask appropriate questions.
4) to become able to organize a meeting, attract the audience and give a lecture.
Communication, Questions and answers
|✔ Specialist skills||Intercultural skills||✔ Communication skills||✔ Critical thinking skills||✔ Practical and/or problem-solving skills|
Each student takes up one technical term which is used in specialized research, and investigate how to explain it to non-experts in easily understandable way. Each student prepares sentences to explain orally. The talk should be prepared based on the contents in high school textbooks.
The capacity of the course is 12. So, it can happen that only a part of the applicants are accepted.
|Course schedule||Required learning|
|Class 1||Oct. 22 (Sat.) 3-8 period, Zoom On the morning of the 1st day, guidance is given and the students conduct exercises to prepare an explanation, with possible questions to be asked in mind. The example of outreach activity of the graduate students of Tokyo Tech at a science museum in a town is also introduced. Then, each student picks up one technical term, prepares the outline of the explanation, and criticizes each other in each group consisting of a few students.||Prepare for presentation.|
|Class 2||Nov. 12 (Sat.) 3-10 period, Zoom Each student gives a presentation one after another and answers the questions. Based on this experience, students plan a seminar by themselves.||Make an actual presentation. Plan a seminar.|
Handout is prepared when necessary.
It is mandatory to attend all the classes. Grading is based on the exercises and the presentations.
1) The lecture is given in Japanese language. Therefore, the ability of understanding Japanese language is necessary.
2) As a general rule, each of doctoral students, who belongs to his/her doctoral course for less than six months, cannot register for this course.
Office hour is available after an appointment with e-mail.