The chemical process consists of various types of unit operations in order to convert raw materials to products. In this course, the basic methods for designing a number of typical unit operations are studied.
After studying this subject, the students should be able to carry out a basic design of typical unit operations which make up a chemical process.
Unit operation, Equipment Design, Chemical Process
|Intercultural skills||Communication skills||Specialist skills||Critical thinking skills||Practical and/or problem-solving skills|
Lectures and exercise problems to deepen understanding of the subject
|Course schedule||Required learning|
|Class 1||0. Outline of the Course, 1. Classification and Thickening|
|Class 2||2. Filtration|
|Class 3||3. Mixing and Agitation|
|Class 4||4. Heat Exchange|
|Class 5||Exercise Problems (1)||To deepen understanding of the contents from Class 1 to Class 4|
|Class 6||Solutions for Exercise Problems (1)|
|Class 7||5. Distillation|
|Class 8||6. Liquid-Liquid Extraction|
|Class 9||Exercise Problems (2)||To deepen understanding of the contents of Class 7 and Class 8|
|Class 10||Solutions for Exercise Problems (2)|
|Class 11||7. Absorption|
|Class 12||8. Humidification|
|Class 13||9. Adsorption|
|Class 14||Exercise Problems (3)||To deepen understanding of the contents from Class 11 to Class 13|
|Class 15||Solutions for Exercise Problems (3)|
|Class 16||Final Examination|
No specified textbook
- Fujita; "Kagakukogakuenshu" 2nd ed, Tokyo Kagaku Dojin 2000
- Treybal; "Mass-Transfer Operations" 3rd Ed，McGraw-Hill 1980
- Fujita; "Kagakukogaku I" Iwanamizensho, 2nd ed, Iwanamishoten 1979
- Oyama; "Kagakukogaku II" Iwanamizensho, Iwanamishoten 1963
- Otake; "Kagakukogaku III" Iwanamizensho, 2nd ed, Iwanamishoten 1978
The course materials prepared for each class meeting based on the above reference books can be found on OCW-i for this subject.
Students’ course scores are based on final exam (about 60%) and exercise problems (about 40%). Also, class participation etc. are considered.
1) Students must have successfully completed the above TSE.A308 (or ZUQ.T202) and TSE.A204, etc.
2) Students, who earned the credit of former "Unit operations" (2 credits) given until FY2015 or former "Unit operations" (1 credit) given in FY2016~7, will not be accepted into this course.
3) The course is given to the students of Department of Transdisciplinary Science and Engineering and Department of International Development Engineering. The students of Department of Chemical Science and Engineering or Department of Chemical Engineering must take a course of similar contents given by the respective departments. Earning separate credit from these similar courses is not allowed.
The schedule is subject to change depending on the course progress and over-all pace of the class.