This course outlines the basics and the recent trends in information visualization and visual analytics (visual data analysis). It also gives the participants required practical skills.
(1) Understand the concepts of information visualization and visual analytics
(2) Acquire the data processing technique required for information visualization and visual analytics
(3) Understand various visualization methods employed in information visualization and visual analytics
Information Visualization, Visual Analytics, Interactive Data Analysis
|Intercultural skills||✔ Communication skills||✔ Specialist skills||✔ Critical thinking skills||✔ Practical and/or problem-solving skills|
The course is structured by a lecture (LX#) followed by an exercise (EX#). During each exercise day, small groups of participants discuss about case studies of the issues covered in the previous lecture. Programming assignment is given on each exercise day. Final assignment is creation of an info-graphics poster.
|Course schedule||Required learning|
|Class 1||LX1: Overview on Information Visualization||Learn about the overview of information visualization|
|Class 2||LX2: What: Data and data abstraction||Learn about data and the concept of data abstraction|
|Class 3||EX2: Case studies on LX2||Case study on LX2. Group discussion.|
|Class 4||LX3: Why: Task and task abstraction||Purpose of information visualization|
|Class 5||EX3: Case studies on LX3||Case study on LX3 and group discussion|
|Class 6||LX4: Visualization of low-dimensional quantitative data||Visualization techniques for low-dimensional quantitative data|
|Class 7||EX4: Case studies on LX4||Case study on LX4|
|Class 8||LX5: Visualization of high-dimensional quantitative data||Visualization techniques for high-dimensional quantitative data|
|Class 9||EX5: Case studies on LX5||Case study on LX5|
|Class 10||LX6: Visualization of Temporal data||Visualization techniques for data that is changing over time|
|Class 11||EX6: Case studies on LX6||Case study on LX6|
|Class 12||LX7: Interaction||Interactive data analysis|
|Class 13||LX8: Visual Analytics Systems||Various visual analytics systems|
|Class 14||LX9: Immersive VA||VR and AR technologies in visual data analytics|
|Class 15||Wrap up||Wrap up|
Tamara Munzner, "Visualization: Analysis & Design," CRC Press, 2015.
- Contribution to group discussion (40 points)
- Five programming assignments (30 points)
- Final project on Infographics (30 points)
- Communication ability: active contribution to group discussions.
- Programming ability equivalent to the senior undergraduate students of the school of computing.
- Fluency with GitHub and git.