The student conducts research on a theme determined through discussions with his/her academic supervisor. The student gets a deep understanding of his/her research theme by reading related literature, and associated problems are defined and solved through research activities and discussions. While carrying out research, the student learns how to solve problems by applying specialist knowledge in his/her field as well as fundamental knowledge of other related fields that have been acquired through enrolling in various courses. He/she also learns research techniques such as collecting, analyzing, and studying data, and cultivates his/her ability to look at things from many perspectives. In addition, the student writes a thesis and makes a presentation detailing his/her research findings.
This course forms a central part of Tokyo Tech’s laboratory-based education where individual students work on a specific research theme. It has a complementary relationship with coursework based on a structured curriculum. By carrying out research, it is expected that the student will increase knowledge in his/her field and that he/she will acquire comprehensive skills to identify and develop solutions that will solve new and unsolved problems.
By the end of this course, the student will be able to:
1) Apply knowledge of Industrial Engineering and Economics to solve problems related to the field
2) Study the fundamentals of fields other than Industrial Engineering and Economics independently to solve problems
3) Understand the requirements from the society in the problems of Industrial Engineering and Economics, to locate the problems in the right place and to find the solutions.
4) Ability of logical thinking, and clear discussion and documentation.
5) Ability as an independent expert with sufficient communication skills.
Bachelor thesis, presentation, research subject, solutions, literature search, logical thinking
|✔ Specialist skills||✔ Intercultural skills||✔ Communication skills||✔ Critical thinking skills||✔ Practical and/or problem-solving skills|
|Course schedule||Required learning|
|Class 1||Not defined||Not defined|
Individual assessments are done according to the requirements 1) ~ 5).
Satisfy the requirements of bachelor's research.