Dematerialization, societal trends toward accessing and sharing from owing, evolution and penetration of information technology (Internet of Things, Big Data, Artificial Intelligence, Network, Mobile), and growth of platform-based business influence the structure and mechanisms of value creation of and capture from the engineered products and accelerate the emergence of Product Service System (PSS).
PSS is a business system for value creation of and capture from engineered products, and composed of several actors including customers, product providers, service providers for new service functions based on the shared information. PSS is expected to realize the next generation of industry sectors and economic growth of the society in the pro-environmental way. The challenge for us is to give the answers to how we can design the sustainable and pro-environmental PSS in the actual societal context, and how we can evaluate it from multi-scope viewpoints.
This lecture aims to develop the student’s capability of designing the Product Service System as a pro-environmental system, making the operation scenario of PSS in the real societal context, and evaluating the value for each actors and society.
To foster the capability of designing Product Service System as a pro-environmental system, making operation scenario of PSS in the real societal context, evaluating value for each actors and society, and explaining the value of developed PSS for stake holders in the society.
Product Service System, Design, Service Design, Servitization, Sociotechnical System, Sustainability, Pro-environmental System
|✔ 専門力||教養力||✔ コミュニケーション力||✔ 展開力(探究力又は設定力)||展開力(実践力又は解決力)|
Based on the lectures and group works.
(June 15, June 29, July 13, July 27)
|第1回||Lecture Overview (What is design ? What is PSS ?)||TBD|
|第2回||Design Product Service System as a Pro-environmental System Making Operation Scenario in the Reality||TBD|
|第3回||Design Product Service System as a Pro-environmental System Making Operation Scenario in the Reality||TBD|
|第4回||Evaluate the Value of PSS for Each Actors and Society||TBD|
|第5回||Investigate Implications to Technology, Product, Services, System, and Design||TBD|
No text books
- F. W. Geels, Technological Transitions And System Innovations: A Co-evolutionary And Socio-technical Analysis, Edward Elgar, 2005.
- K. Dorst, Frame Innovation, MIT Press, 2015.
- T. Baines and L. Howard, Made to Serve, Wiley, 2013.
- A. Tukker, and T. Ursula, eds. New business for old Europe: product-service development, competitiveness, and sustainability, Routledge, 2006.
- Christian Kowalkowski and Ulaga Wolfgang. Service strategy in action: A practical guide for growing your B2B service and solution business, Service Strategy Press, 2017.
- A. Tukker, Product services for a resource-efficient and circular economy - A review, Journal of Cleaner Production, vol. 97, pp. 76–91, 2015.
- A. Tukker, Eight types of product–service system: eight ways to sustainability? Experiences from SusProNet, Business Strategy and the Environment, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 246–260, 2004.
- O. K. Mont, Clarifying the concept of product-service system, Journal of Cleaner Production, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 237–245, Jun. 2002.
- W. Ulaga and W. J. Reinartz, “Hybrid Offerings: How Manufacturing Firms Combine Goods and Services Successfully,” Journal of Marketing, vol. 75, no. 6, pp. 5–23, 2011.
Based on the presentations and final repots.
Only for the students in Tokyo Tech Academy of Energy and Informatics Program