Through this course, students are expected to deepen their understanding of Japan and the Japanese society in comparison with other countries through lectures, discussions and presentations.
By the end of this course, students will be able to:
1. Understand the history and characteristics of Japan's economic development
2. Understand the major environmental problems and the efforts to solve them in Japan.
3. Deepen understanding on a few important social issues of students' home countries or Japan
4. Experience traditional Japanese culture
Economic development, Environmental protection, Japanese culture
|Specialist skills||✔ Intercultural skills||✔ Communication skills||✔ Critical thinking skills||✔ Practical and/or problem-solving skills|
In the first part of the course, lectures will be given on Japan’s economic development, environmental problem and other social issues. Students will discuss some key topics related with the lectures. In the last part of the course, students will be divided into several groups and give a group presentation on the causes and possible solution of an social issue in Japan or their home countries, assuming they are international consultant group, assigned by a Minister of the country.
Opportunity to experience a tea ceremony is also provided to deepen their understanding of Japanese traditional culture.
|Course schedule||Required learning|
|Class 1||Outline of the course, Introduction to the Japanese traditional culture, Overview of economic development of Japan||Details will be instructed in each class|
|Class 2||Economic Development of Japan (1) Taisho and Showa period: Economic boom, Depression and Militalism||Details will be instructed in each class|
|Class 3||Economic Development of Japan (2) Post-war reconstruction||Details will be instructed in each class|
|Class 4||Economic Development of Japan (3) Rapid economic development and Environmental pollution||Details will be instructed in each class|
|Class 5||Oil shock, Bubble economy and its collapse, current issues of Japanese economy||Details will be instructed in each class|
|Class 6||Group presentation on a social issue of their home countries and/or Japan (1)||Details will be instructed in each class|
|Class 7||Group presentation on a social issue of their home countries and/or Japan (2)||Details will be instructed in each class|
No specific text in this course.
References will be introduced during the course according to the topics.
Understanding of classes 50%, Presentation 25%, final report 25%
1. Class understanding: Class attendance is expected at all class meetings. Students are requested to fill in a sheet related with the topic of each class and send it with the title “TOJ _class date_ your student number and name” within the day of the class to the following e-mail address:
ysep.sjci2#gmail.com (please substitute @ for #)
2. Presentation: Group presentation on the causes and possible solution of a social issue in Japan or student home countries. Each group needs to submit their presentation file to the above e-mail address by July 22.
3. Final Report: Each student is requested to submit a final report in about 180 words in English related with the part which he/she analyzed in the group presentation. Please send the report with the title “TOJ Final Report _ your student number and name” to the above e-mail address by July 22.
Enough English ability to understand lectures in English