- Aims of this course are to train students for applying methods of instructional analysis, lesson design, and educational assessment, as well as strategies of instruction and skills of instruction while considering problems, such as motivating students to mathematics study, student model to learn problem-solving ability and mathematical ways of viewing and thinking, utilization of ICT as an instructional tool, and informatics education in existing subject area, etc.
- In order to prepare for practice teaching, students repeat the instructional design task, "lesson design → microteaching → discussion for lesson improvement → redesign of the lesson plan.” Tasks of lesson design and redesign are required to perform as homework exercises before and after each lesson. Every students experience the role of teachers in the microteaching once or more.
Students are required to achieve following objectives:
1) Can describe an appropriate lesson plan in a short time by integrating fundamental knowledge on mathematics education learned in “Studies on Method of Mathmatical Teaching I & II” to the method of instructional design and assessment learned in “Educational Technology" and "Curriculum Design and Management” while taking consideration with the items in the Check-list of Lesson Plans.
2) Can generate various lesson plans while taking considerations with several learners’ situations and referring to a textbook, reference books, and web pages, etc., then choose better one from them to achieve learning objectives defined in the National Course of Studies effectively.
3) Can carry out the lesson according to own lesson plan while utilizing effective skills of instructions, understanding students’ situations, and making an appropriate judgment based on the teacher's decision model.
4) Recognize innovative instruction required to solve current issues and needs of mathematics education, and can make a lesson plan corresponding to the needs.
Unit plan, lesson design, development of instructional materials, microteaching, skills of instruction, statistic education, problem-based learning, ICT education
|Intercultural skills||✔ Communication skills||Specialist skills||✔ Critical thinking skills||✔ Practical and/or problem-solving skills|
This course consists of three 5-hour lessons held twice in the weekend and once on Wednesday. Each class requires homework to make and improve a lesson plan before and after the class. In each class, three or more students perform microteaching according to their own lesson plans and discuss by all attendees.
|Course schedule||Required learning|
|Class 1||Lesson Design and Improvement, Skills of Instruction||Lesson Design of “Trigonometric Ratio”|
|Class 2||Discussion about Statistic Education, Utilization of ICT, and Informatics Education in Mathematics||Lesson Design of “PBL” in Mathematics I or A|
|Class 3||Discussion about Appropriate Topics and Instructions for PBL in Mathematics||Lesson Design of “Data Analysis”|
・National Course of Studies for the Lower Secondary Schools and the Upper Secondary Schools (in Japanese)
・Guidebooks of National Course of Studies for the Lower Secondary Schools and the Upper Secondary Schools: Mathematics (in Japanese)
・Mathematics textbooks for the lower secondary schools and the upper secondary schools (in Japanese)
・Gaming instructional materials developed in my laboratory for PBL and data-analysis in mathematics
・Attendance points, required homework, and microteaching are evaluated.
・Students who did not submit a homework before the class, did not improve all lesson plans after the classes, or were absent more than once lose their credit.
・Students are required to earn every credit (or have successfully finished in the same term) for related courses of LAT.
・Students are required to earn more than 18 credits of related courses of "Mathematics", at least including both “probability and statistics” and “computer”.
・Students are required to send an application e-mail that includes ID, name, major program, and e-mail address to following contact address until required date announced by bulletin board and Web page of Teacher Promotion Program.
・Part-time students who can take this course are only graduates of Tokyo Tech.
・Students who have already taken a credit of a similar course cannot take this course.
Please send an e-mail for appointment.
・Students are required to have own facilities and abilities to perform homework by means of Office software, especially for making instructional materials for “PBL” and “data analysis” in mathematics.
・Students need to make instructional materials with paying attention to intellectual property rights enough.