- In practical research on education such as lesson research, developing curriculums and instructional materials, it is necessary to cooperate with real schools to perform trial lessons and verify learning effects. Students should not interfere with the lessons that the responsible teacher originally planned, but it is also necessary to expect the need for further practice as well as better results. To obtain the cooperation of the teacher, these aspects must be explained and accepted. For that purpose, it is necessary to check teacher's lesson plans, to grasp the learners' readiness and lesson environment, and to adjust his/her own research plans. For this end, this course deals with methodology for pursuing practical education research.
- Building on gaming instructional materials developed in "Exercise of Designing Gaming Instructional Materials" and "Advanced Educational Technology", students will learn about the methodology of practical research on educational technology through the process of actually evaluating developed instructional materials and writing research paper. Students will also be instilled with ethical values needed for practical research on educational technology.
Students are required to achieve following objectives:
- Recognize their own research capability and find issues and their prospects of improvement while applying "the warp and the woof model" of problem solving to a practical research on education and reviewing its process.
- Explain the notices to utilize methods of collecting, analyzing, and discussing data for verifying educational effects, while summarizing the experiences in the practical research on education.
- Understand ethics of practical research on education, and acquire methods for maintaining it, and cultivate attitude to act.
Practical research in education, lesson study, learning science, qualitative approach, lesson Assessment, learning effect, e-portfolio, research ethics
|✔ Specialist skills||Intercultural skills||✔ Communication skills||✔ Critical thinking skills||✔ Practical and/or problem-solving skills|
The purpose of each class is focusing on explaining knowledge and methods necessary for homework assignments as well as discussion for problem-solving. Tasks necessary for homework assignments should be performed on the e-portfolio system that supports practical research on education. Therefore, students are required to perform necessary tasks before the next class in order to discuss their reports.
|Course schedule||Required learning|
|Class 1||Overview of practical research on education: Difference between practices and researches, and ethical Issues||Tasks on the e-portfolio system|
|Class 2||Review and case analysis of practical research of education: Find a problem and directions of improvement||Tasks on the e-portfolio system|
|Class 3||Observe a lesson and discuss with a teacher at the school where trial lesson will conducted||Tasks on the e-portfolio system|
|Class 4||Make a research plan||Tasks on the e-portfolio system|
|Class 5||Issues anticipated in a research and devices to avoid them||Tasks on the e-portfolio system|
|Class 6||Method of data collection and analysis||Tasks on the e-portfolio system|
|Class 7||How to write research paper||Tasks on the e-portfolio system|
|Class 8||Oral presentation sessions and end-term examination||Make a presentation file and a research paper, Tasks on the e-portfolio system|
・Matsuda, T. (2015). An E-portfolio for Cultivating Ability to Perform Educational Technology Research, Technical Report of Japan Society for Educational Technology, JSET15 (1), 1–8.
・Matsuda, T. (2015). An E-portfolio System to Promote Development of Gaming Instructional Materials for Cultivating Students’ Problem-solving Abilities., In Proceedings of World Conference on E-Learning, Chesapeake, VA: AACE, Vol. 2015, No. 1, pp. 961-968.
・Students will be assessed based on homework exercises, logs of the e-portfolio system, and research papers.
・Full attendance and completion of every homework exercises are compulsory.
・Evaluation of ethical attitude in research activities is based on comments from the cooperate teacher at the school where practice lesson is performed.
・Students are required to earn the credit for the related course.
・Students are required to send an application e-mail that includes ID, name, major program, and e-mail address to following contact address until the end of August.