Thermodynamics gives the principles of the phenomenon in various kinds of engineering operations, which are used for the conversions of energy and materials, and is one of the most important basic fields. In this course, students understand and learn how to apply mainly three thermodynamic laws, enthalpy, entropy, cycle, free energy, equilibrium, etc.
After studying this subject, the students should be able to give a guiding principle for the selection, design, etc. of the engineering operations.
Enthalpy, Entropy, Cycle, Free energy, Equilibrium
|✔ Specialist skills||✔ Intercultural skills||Communication skills||✔ Critical thinking skills||Practical and/or problem-solving skills|
Lectures with exercise problems to deepen understanding of the subject
|Course schedule||Required learning|
|Class 1||0. Outline of the Course, 1. Physicochemical Variable and Unit/Dimension||Preparation with lecture materials on OCW-i before lecture Review after lecture, especially, exercise problems in terms of engineering application|
|Class 2||2. Basis of Thermodynamics and the First Law (1)|
|Class 3||2. Basis of Thermodynamics and the First Law (2)|
|Class 4||2. the First and Third Law of Thermodynamics (1)|
|Class 5||2. the First and Third Law of Thermodynamics (2)|
|Class 6||Exercise Problems-1|
|Class 7||Solutions for Exercise Problems-1 4. Free Energy and Phase Equilibrium of Pure Substance|
|Class 8||5. Phase Equilibrium of Multicomponent System|
|Class 9||6. Thermodynamics of Solution|
|Class 10||Exercise Problems-2|
|Class 11||Solutions for Exercise Problems-2 7. Chemical Equilibrium|
|Class 12||8. Rate and Mechanism of Chemical Reaction|
|Class 13||9. Surface and Heterogeneous Reaction|
|Class 14||Exercise Problems-3 and Solutions|
- 60-min-preparation with lecture materials on OCW-i before lecture
- 60-min-review after lecture, especially, exercise problems in terms of engineering application
No specified textbook
- Watanabe, “セミナーライブラリ化学6 演習 化学熱力学” [Newly-rev. ed.], Saiensu-sha Co.,Ltd (2003)
- Barrow, ”Physical Chemistry” 6th Edition, McGraw-Hill, Inc. (1999)
- Smith, Ness, Abbott, Swihart, “Introduction to Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics” 9th Edition, McGraw-Hill (2021)
- Yoshioka, “化学One Point 6 相律と状態図”，Kyoritsu Shuppan Co.,Ltd (1984)
- Sugimoto，“中公新書774 エントロピー入門”, Shuokoron-Shinsha Inc. (1985)
The course materials prepared for each lecture based on the above reference books can be found on OCW-i for this subject.
Students' course scores are based on exercise problems etc. (Approx. 40%), final exam (or assignment) (Approx. 60%), etc.
The course schedule above is subject to change.