The chemical process consists of various types of unit operations in order to convert raw materials to products. In this course, the basic methods for designing a number of typical unit operations are studied.
After studying this subject, the students should be able to carry out a basic design of typical unit operations which make up a chemical process.
Unit operation, Design, Chemical Process
|✔ Specialist skills||Intercultural skills||Communication skills||Critical thinking skills||✔ Practical and/or problem-solving skills|
Lectures and exercise problems to deepen understanding of the subject
|Course schedule||Required learning|
|Class 1||0. Outline of the Course, 1. Classification and Thickening|
|Class 2||2. Filtration|
|Class 3||3. Mixing and Agitation|
|Class 4||4. Heat Exchange|
|Class 5||Exercise Problems (1)||To deepen understanding of the contents from Class 1 to Class 4|
|Class 6||Solutions for Exercise Problems (1), 5. Distillation (1)|
|Class 7||5. Distillation (2)|
|Class 8||6. Solvent Extraction (1)|
|Class 9||6. Solvent Extraction (2)|
|Class 10||7. Gas Absorption|
|Class 11||8. Humidification|
|Class 12||9. Adsorption (1)|
|Class 13||9. Adsorption (2)|
|Class 14||Exercise Problems (2)||To deepen understanding of the contents from Class 6 to Class 13|
|Class 15||Solutions for Exercise Problems (2)|
|Class 16||Final Examination|
No specified textbook
- Fujita; "Kagakukogakuenshu" 2nd ed, Tokyo Kagaku Dojin 2000
- Treybal; "Mass-Transfer Operations" 3rd Ed，McGraw-Hill 1980
- Fujita; "Kagakukogaku I" Iwanamizensho, 2nd ed, Iwanamishoten 1979
- Oyama; "Kagakukogaku II" Iwanamizensho, Iwanamishoten 1963
- Otake; "Kagakukogaku III" Iwanamizensho, 2nd ed, Iwanamishoten 1978
The course material prepared for each class based on the above reference books can be found on OCW-i.
Students’ course scores are based on final exam (round about 70%) and exercise problems (round about 30%).
1) Students must have successfully completed the above TSE.A308 (or ZUQ.T202) and TSE.A204, etc.
2) Students, who earned the credit of former "Unit operations" (2 credits) given until FY2015 or former "Unit operations" (1 credit) given in FY2016~7, are not accepted into this course.
3) The course is given for the students in Department of Transdisciplinary Science and Engineering and Department of International Development Engineering. The students in Department of Chemical Science and Engineering or Department of Chemical Engineering must take a course of similar contents given by the respective departments. The credit earning of both the courses are disallowed.
The schedule is subject to change in consideration of the knowledge of students and course progress.