This course focuses on Public space and Facilities, and covers of the design and historical background how Public space have been achieved or lost through the Western European history and Japanese history.
1)This course introduces the specific figures about Public space like scale, materials, methods and 3 dimensional volumes in Public space.
2)This course includes workshop with group discussion about public space around everyday life.
3)This course includes design exercise to acquire the skill of design public space, too.
At the end of this course ,student will be
1) Having an understanding of history about Public space.
2) Having an ability to grasp Publicness and design of Public space and facilities.
3) The presentation skill to debate and the layout of the design board which they make.
Public space, Landscape design Public architecuture
|Intercultural skills||Communication skills||Specialist skills||Critical thinking skills||Practical and/or problem-solving skills|
1) At the early term of whole classes, by using powerpoint and draw on the blackboard .
2) Middle of classes, the exercise and presentation workshop will be held by students.
3) The end of classes , the examination will be held.
4) Attendance is taken in every class.
|Course schedule||Required learning|
|Class 1||Introduction, Public Space and the City|
|Class 2||Cultural Space in European cities|
|Class 3||Public Art and Architecture|
|Class 4||Developing Urban Identities||Submit a report of “Future Public Spaces in your City”|
|Class 5||The design and approaches for Public space through the private house design in Japan. -The analysis of the connotation about “publicness” in Japan.|
|Class 6||The relationship between the neighborhood unit and the urban design through collective housing project.|
|Class 7||The Publicness through Public facilities and private buildings.|
|Class 8||The analysis and research for Landscape design in terms of Publicness.||The examination to know how they undrstand throuh whole clasees|
Textbook will be introduce at the courses
Exterio design in architecture (外部空間の設計）, Commonalities, Life between buildings, Cities for people, and other books about public spaces.
Presentation(30%), Group-work(30%), Final Examination(40%)
no required knowledge and skills for taking this course
Contact by e-mail in advance to schedule an appointment.