This course introduces the computer foundation, cognitive model, and design methods for human-computer interaction.
1) Introduction of multimodal processing, extended senses as VR/AR, and cooperative support techniques such as CSCW or groupware.
2) Introduction of real-world computing such as the next generation of interactive systems.
3) Explanation of the cognitive model of interaction, sensation/perception, motion/control, and human communication.
4) Explanation of the human-centered design as a method of interaction design and its evaluation methods.
1) Have an understanding of the research background, design concept and constitutive principles of current typical HCI system and advanced HCI system.
2) Acquire the ability to design and implement techniques of typical HCI system.
1) Have an understanding of the cognitive model of interaction, sensation/perception, motion/control, and human communication as a cognitive process of HCI.
2) Have an understanding of human-centered design, usability and UX, evaluation methods and communication design as in HCI design theory.
(Koike) Interactive systems, Graphics, Vision, Device programming
(Miyake) Interaction, Design, Usability, Cognitive model, Communication
|Intercultural skills||Communication skills||Specialist skills||Critical thinking skills||Practical and/or problem-solving skills|
(Koike) Lecture and implementation report of the project task.
(Miyake) Lecture and review report.
|Course schedule||Required learning|
|Class 1||Introduction||Explain course description and aims|
|Class 2||Computer foundation of interaction (1)||Understand GUI and Hypermedia|
|Class 3||Computer foundation of interaction (2)||Understand Perceptual UI|
|Class 4||Computer foundation of interaction (3)||Understand Information visualization|
|Class 5||Computer foundation of interaction (4)||Understand Virtual reality/Augmented reality|
|Class 6||Computer foundation of interaction (5)||Understand CSCW|
|Class 7||Computer foundation of interaction (6)||Understand Real-world computing|
|Class 8||Human as a cognitive system (1)||Understand Cognitive model of interaction|
|Class 9||Human as a cognitive system (2)||Understand Human sensation and perception|
|Class 10||Human as a cognitive system (3)||Understand Human motion and control|
|Class 11||Human as a cognitive system (4)||Understand Human Communication|
|Class 12||Interaction design (1)||Understand Human-centered design and interaction|
|Class 13||Interaction design (2)||Understand Usability · UX and Evaluation|
|Class 14||Interaction design (3)||Understand Communication design|
|Class 15||Presentation||Present project task|
Copy of in-class slides is provided during class.
Attendance of lectures (50%) and submission of reports (50%).