1) The course introduces fabrication technology of MEMS(Micro Electro Mechanical Systems) from the viewpoints of mechanical machining, lithography process and nano-technology.
2) Micromachines and micromechanisms are reviewed how they are applied to sensors, bio and chemical assay instruments and measurement systems.
3) The purpose of the course is laid on understanding of present bio-MEMS and cultivation of grounding for the future research and development of devices.
At the end of the course, students will be expected to:
1) Understand technical terms in the interdisciplinary technical fields such as mechanicaｌ, electrical, life and material engneering.
2) Acquire the advanced knowledge to discuss with specialists in related technical fields.
MEMS, NEMS, Precise machining, lithgraphy, nanotechnology, sensors, assay instruments, measurement systems
|Intercultural skills||Communication skills||Specialist skills||Critical thinking skills||Practical and/or problem-solving skills|
1) Students are requested to bring course materials, which is uploaded on the web site and printed or stored in PC's by themselves.
2) Real materials are circulated in the class.
|Course schedule||Required learning|
|Class 1||[Hatuzawa 1] What is micromachine-historuy, fabrication and applications||Students shall understand historical background of micromachines.|
|Class 2||[Hatuzawa 2] Measurement and Medical Applications||Students shall understand mechnical sensors and medical applications.|
|Class 3||[Yanagida1] Micropatterning of substrate, biomolecules and cells||Students will understand how to fabricate microstructures of bio-MEMS.|
|Class 4||[Yanagida2] Molecular and cell biology by bio-MEMS||Students will learn the benefits of bio-MEMS in molecular and cellular biology.|
|Class 5||[Ishida1] Scaling law and MEMS||Students will learn scaling law and its applications such as MEMS.|
|Class 6||[Ishida2] Scale of cells||Students will learn physical aspects of cells such as scale and time.|
|Class 7||[Ishida3] Scale and Bio-MEMS||Students will learn bio-MEMS that has effective combination of MEMS and cells from the point of view of their scale.|
Materials are uploaded on the website. Upload target will be designated by each instructor.
A report on the specific topic will be assigned at the end of the lecture.
An appointment is required by e-mail.