This course focuses on the fundamentals of medical-dental-engineering collaboration from both the medical-dental and engineering points of view.
1. The special characteristics of medicine and medical sciences, the clinical processes in diagnoses and treatments, and the conflicts between socio-ethical aspects and clinical necessities.
2. Development of medical instruments by medical-dental-engineering collaboration including its difficulties introducing concrete examples.
3. Utilization of radiations for diagnosis and treatment from a standpoint of radiation physics and engineering.
Through these lectures, this course facilitates students' understanding of how engineering should be to contribute to medical and dental fields.
Acquiring the following knowledge and ability to:
1. Acquire the general knowledge of medicine and understand the prerequisite for medical-engineering cooperation.
2. Understand not only the significance and possibilities of medical-dental-engineering collaboration but also sever demands required by clinical site.
3. Understand the fundamental physics and engineering in medical application of radiations.
medical ethics, medical-dental-engineering collaboration
|Specialist skills||Intercultural skills||Communication skills||✔ Critical thinking skills||✔ Practical and/or problem-solving skills|
Five classes will be held and each class is for three class-hours. The particular lecture plan in 2016 is not fixed yet. The order of the following classes is subject to change.
|Course schedule||Required learning|
|Class 1||Development of medical instruments by medical-dental-engineering collaboration||Understand not only the significance and possibilities of medical-dental-engineering collaboration but also sever demands required by clinical site|
|Class 2||An outline of medicine, the view of life and death, the legislation for medical services||Acquire the general knowledge of medicine. Understand the special characteristics of medicine.|
|Class 3||An introduction to the medical diagnosis and treatment. Problematic issues on the medical environments in Japan.||Understand the clinical process and controversial issues on Japanese health care system.|
|Class 4||The self-determination policy in medicine, medical ethics, and the biological bias.||Understand the importance of self-determination and ethics in practical medicine. Recognize the risk and possibility of biological bias.|
|Class 5||Fundamental physics and engineering in medical application of radiations, and examples of technologies.||Understand the examples of applications and technologies. Consider the advantages and the disadvantages in the medical application of radiations.|
Course materials are provided during class
Short comprehension checks by the lecturers during class