Students will conduct research on a research topic decided in consultation with their academic supervisor. Students will deepen their understanding of topics related to their research topic through surveys of the literature, define a problem through research activities and debate, and attempt to solve it. During the course of conducting research, students will use expertise learned from various prior courses and related general knowledge, learning techniques to solve these problems. Students will become familiar with research methods such as acquiring data, and analyzing and examining the acquired data, while honing the skills to view things from multiple perspectives. In addition, students will organize their findings to write, publish, and debate their dissertation. Dissertation research is the core of research lab education in which students each work on a specific research topic, and complements course work based on a systematic curriculum. Through conducting research, students are expected to enhance their expertise while learning the skills to discover and select new topics and problems, the skills to guide unsolved problems towards their solution, and the comprehensive development skills required in the real world.
Students will learn the following skills.
1) Apply expertise in Mathematical and Computing Science to problem solving
2) Learn the basics of a specialized field other than Mathematical and Computing Science on their own, and connect it to problem solving
3) Understand the position in society of an unsolved problem in Mathematical and Computing Science, judge the influence the problem's resolution will have on society, and work on its solution
4) Learn logical explanatory skills, expand discussions, and organize into writing
5) Have the awareness of an independent researcher, and the knowledge and explanatory skills necessary for attempting to communicate with others in discussions
presentation, research theme, problem-solving, literature search, ability to explain concepts logically
|✔ Specialist skills||✔ Intercultural skills||✔ Communication skills||✔ Critical thinking skills||✔ Practical and/or problem-solving skills|
Conduct laboratory work under the guidance of your academic supervisor. The course schedule is determined through discussions with your academic supervisor.
|Course schedule||Required learning|
|Class 1||This course is held in the academic supervisor's research lab, and the curriculum is determined in consultation with the instructor. - Guidance from the academic supervisor in regard to proceeding with research - Debate the orientation of research - Deciding on a research topic - Conducting research - Survey of literature related to the research topic - Interim report on research - Organizing findings - Writing a dissertation - Creating presentation materials, and guidance on the presentation by the academic supervisor - Presentation meeting for dissertation||Follow instructions from your academic supervisor.|
The specific assessment criteria and methods, which are in accordance with student learning outcomes 1 to 5 above,will be announced after they are determined.