This course lectures the measurement techniques for thermal-fluid field. Concretely saying, important points for the measurement, such as application of physical property, addition of markers, use of laser beam, are explained with appropriate examples.
By understanding the essence of this course, student can apply the measurement techniques to precisely analyze thermal-fluid phenomena that is important in the energy engineering and materials processing.
By the end of this course, the student will obtain the ability listed below.
1) Ability to explain a mechanism of physical phenomena used for the visualization/measurement of thermal-fluid
2) Ability to explain the meaning of thermal property used for the visualization/measurement of thermal-fluid
3) Ability to propose a technique to visualize/measure the targeted thermal-fluid phenomena
Temperature, Velocity, Pressure, Viscosity, Laser
|Intercultural skills||Communication skills||Specialist skills||Critical thinking skills||Practical and/or problem-solving skills|
Towards the end of class, students are given exercise problems related to what is taught on that day to solve.
|Course schedule||Required learning|
|Class 1||Introduction of Advanced Thermal-Fluids Measurement||Understanding of the overall of Advanced Thermal-Fluids Measurement|
|Class 2||Flow measurements and flow visualizations||Understanding of flow measurements and flow visualizations|
|Class 3||Single-phase flow (Newtonian and non-Newtonian)||Understanding of single-phase flow (Newtonian and non-Newtonian)|
|Class 4||Multi-phase flow (Bubbly flow, Boiling flow, Stem flow, Solid-gas multi-phase flow)||Understanding of Multi-phase flow (Bubbly flow, Boiling flow, Stem flow, Solid-gas multi-phase flow)|
|Class 5||Temperature measurement (Contact method, Non contact method)||Understanding of Temperature measurement (Contact method, Non contact method)|
|Class 6||Thermal property measurement (Density/Viscosity, Thermal energy/Specific heat/Latent heat, Thermal conductivity)||Understanding of Thermal property measurement (Density/Viscosity, Thermal energy/Specific heat/Latent heat, Thermal conductivity)|
|Class 7||Measurement of heat flux (In direct method, Sensors for heat flux measurement, Relationship with heat transfer coefficient)||Understanding of Measurement of heat flux (In direct method, Sensors for heat flux measurement, Relationship with heat transfer coefficient)|
|Class 8||Thermal-fluid phenomena in materials processing (polymer melt flow)||Understanding of Thermal-fluid phenomena in materials processing|
Materials are distributed depending on the needs.
1) Students will be assessed on their understanding of measurement techniques of flow field, temperature field and physical property, and their ability to apply them to solve actual problems.
2) Students’ course score are based on exercise problems (30%) and final report (70%).
3) The weights for learning outcomes 1-2 are 30 points each, and 3 is 40 points.