This course instructs skills to write reports and technical papers and to make presentations in Japanese in order to convey the contents to the others correctly. It gives how to summarize in Japanese in comparison with in English. Targets of this course include presentation types and their features, research presentations and ethic, constructions of papers and presentations, writing papers, ways to write sentences and summary, drawing of figures and tables, making of slides and poster, search of papers and patents and presentation methods.
By the end of this course, students will be able to:
1) Make a logical description on academic and technological contents in Japanese.
2) Make academic papers and technical reports with figures and tables easy to understand.
3) Make a presentation with appropriate posters and/or slides to avoid misunderstanding.
4) Collect and summarize the required information from technical papers and/or patent documents.
making sentences, making figures and tables, presentation skill, information search
|Intercultural skills||Communication skills||Specialist skills||✔ Critical thinking skills||Practical and/or problem-solving skills|
|✔ ・Fundamental specialist skills on EEE|
We have two classes in each week. The lecturer will give lecture in the first day of the week, and then, we will have exercise in the second day.
|Course schedule||Required learning|
|Class 1||Why we need to write technical papers? Types, readers, and purpose of technical paper. Correct Japanese expression to avoid misunderstandings.||Write and improve sentences|
|Class 2||Exercise of correct Japanese expression to avoid misunderstandings.||Exercise of writing and improvement of sentences|
|Class 3||Structure and components of technical papers.||Writing a summary|
|Class 4||Exercise of making summary.||Exercise of making summary|
|Class 5||Method to writing and explaining of figures, tables, and equations.||Writing figures, tables, and equations|
|Class 6||Exercise of writing figures, tables, and equations||Exercise of writing figures, tables, and equations|
|Class 7||Method to find references, technical paper and patent search.||Technical paper and patent search.|
|Class 8||Exercise of technical paper and patent search.||Exercise of technical paper and patent search.|
|Class 9||Writing technical paper, copy right, end ethic.||Citation of references|
|Class 10||Exercise of reference citation.||Exercise of reference citation.|
|Class 11||Technical papers and presentations.||Prepare presentation contents|
|Class 12||Exercise of preparation of presentation contents.||Exercise of preparation of presentation contents|
|Class 13||Presentation practice||Prepare presentation contents|
|Class 14||Exercise of preparation slide||Exercise of preparation slide|
The text is delivered at OCW-i.
1) Toshikatsu Nakajima, Shin-ya Tsukamoto, "Intellectual writing of scientific and engineering sentences," Koronasha, ISBN：978-4-339-07640-0
2) Tadao Kinoshita, "Writing skills for science courses, Chuokoronsha, ISBN:978-4-12-100624-0
3) Tadashi Itasaka, "Thinking skills and writing skills," Kodansha, ISBN: 978-4-061-15885-6
Assignｍents and reports 100% (totally 7 times).
Student who belongs to a laboratory or will belong from the fall semester.
Hideaki Fujita, fujita[at]ee.e.titech.ac.jp