This course provides fundamental aspects of chemical thermodynamics for electronic materials and device processes. Firstly, students will be introduced to thermodynamic functions of enthalpy, entropy, and free energy from the chemical reactions point of view. Also, this course will deal with surface reactions for electronic material/device processes as a case study of the energetic analysis of chemical reactions.
Through the course, the students will be able to
1) understand chemical reaction equilibrium analysis using the thermodynamic functions
2) understand surface reactions for electronic material/device processes.
Corresponding educational goals are:
(1) Specialist skills Fundamental specialist skills
(4) Applied skills (inquisitive thinking and/or problem-finding skills) Organization and analysis
(7) Skills acquiring a wide range of expertise, and expanding it into more advanced and other specialized areas
Chemical thermodynamics, thermodynamic functions, surface reaction
|Intercultural skills||Communication skills||Specialist skills||Critical thinking skills||Practical and/or problem-solving skills|
Exercises will be carried out during the class to help students understand lectures
|Course schedule||Required learning|
|Class 1||Thermochemical equation and enthalpy||Internal energy, enthalpy, and thermochemical equation|
|Class 2||Chemical reaction and enthalpy change||Enthalpy change in chemical reactions|
|Class 3||Spontaneous change and entropy||Entropy and spontaneous change in chemical reactions|
|Class 4||Entropy and chemical reaction||Entropy change in chemical reactions|
|Class 5||Chemical reaction and free energy||Free energy, direction of change in chemical reactions|
|Class 6||Phase equilibrium||Phase equilibrium|
|Class 7||Chemical potential and chemical equilibrium||Chemical equilibrium , chemical potential，and chemical equilibrium analysis|
|Class 8||Surface reaction||Chemical thermodynamics of surface reactions|
Evaluation will be based on the term-end examination.
None in particular