Many types of manufacturing processes are applied to fabricate machinery performing useful functions. Here, higher precision is crucial for developing the functions. This course aims to clearly understand and acquire the principles underlying the modern processing for achieving higher precision from the viewpoint of manufacturing technology.
1. The requirement for the fabrication of high precision machinery is clarified on the basis of what the development of machinery is.
2. Common features existing through a lot of manufacturing processes are generalized, and the technical elements and the processing principles that are necessary for higher precision are revealed.
3. Advanced manufacturing technologies in modern industry are extracted and the working principles are found out.
Machinery that performs useful work with their advanced functions is produced by many types of manufacturing technologies, and the useful work is achieved by higher precision of manufacturing processes. From this point of view, you will acquire knowledge and ability to
1) explain the principles of manufacturing processes that contribute to the achievement of high precision
2) explain the principles of each manufacturing processes that you have learned in the undergraduate course from the viewpoint of high precision
3) discover the principles applied to the production of modern high-precision machinery.
high-precision machinery, machining precision, principles of processing, machining unit, forced machining, selective pressure machining, processing energies, multistage machining, work materials
|Intercultural skills||Communication skills||✔ Specialist skills||Critical thinking skills||✔ Practical and/or problem-solving skills|
The lectures will provide the structure of high-precision machinery, the concept of machining precision, the principles underlying various manufacturing processes for achieving high precision. Every class is allotted for you to explore and find the principles used for production of modern advanced machinery with high-precision and the novel manufacturing processes based on new principles.
|Course schedule||Required learning|
|Class 1||The position and role of manufacturing technology||Categorize the modern manufacturing processes from your own point of view.|
|Class 2||What a high-precision machine is.||Explain the functional requirements that high-precision machinery should meet.|
|Class 3||Machining precision Elemental technology||What is machining precision? List the elemental technologies on machining.|
|Class 4||Machining unit Forced machining||What is machining unit? How do you set machining unit for high precision? Explaing what the forced machining is and the principles for high precision of the forced machining.|
|Class 5||Selective pressure machining||Explain what the selective pressure machining is with examples of practical processes and the principles for achieving high precision.|
|Class 6||Processing energies||Explain what features of energies are necessary for acheiving high-precision processings.|
|Class 7||Multistage machining||Explain the principle for high precision in production process where various types of processes are applied.|
|Class 8||Workpiece principle||Explain how to properly handle workpieces to achieve high precision.|
Hiromu Nakazawa, Principles of Precision Engineering, Oxford University Press
David Dornfeld, Dae-Eun Lee, Precision Manufacturing, Springer
Students will be assessed on their understanding of the principles underlying high-precision manufacturing processes, and their ability to find them out in practical and developing processes with course scores concerning discussion and required work (50%) and final exam (50%).
Students must have successfully completed MEC.G211：Mechanical Materials and MEC.G311：Introduction to Manufacturing Engineering, or have equivalent knowledge.