This course lectures the measurement techniques for thermal-fluid field. Concretely saying, important points for the measurement, such as application of physical property, addition of markers, use of laser beam, are explained with appropriate examples.
By understanding the essence of this course, student can apply the measurement techniques to precisely analyze thermal-fluid phenomena that is important in the energy engineering and materials processing.
By the end of this course, the student will obtain the ability listed below.
1) Ability to explain a mechanism of physical phenomena used for the visualization/measurement of thermal-fluid
2) Ability to explain the meaning of thermal property used for the visualization/measurement of thermal-fluid
3) Ability to propose a technique to visualize/measure the targeted thermal-fluid phenomena
Temperature, Velocity, Pressure, Viscosity, Laser
|✔ Specialist skills||Intercultural skills||Communication skills||Critical thinking skills||✔ Practical and/or problem-solving skills|
Towards the end of class, students are given exercise problems related to what is taught on that day to solve.
|Course schedule||Required learning|
|Class 1||Introduction of Advanced Thermal-Fluids Measurement||Understanding of the overall of Advanced Thermal-Fluids Measurement|
|Class 2||Flow measurements and flow visualizations||Understanding of flow measurements and flow visualizations|
|Class 3||Single-phase flow (Newtonian and non-Newtonian)||Understanding of single-phase flow (Newtonian and non-Newtonian)|
|Class 4||Multi-phase flow (Bubbly flow, Boiling flow, Stem flow, Solid-gas multi-phase flow)||Understanding of Multi-phase flow (Bubbly flow, Boiling flow, Stem flow, Solid-gas multi-phase flow)|
|Class 5||Invasive temperature measurement||Understanding of thermocouples, resistance temperature detectors|
|Class 6||Semi-/Non- invasive temperature measurement||Understanding of thermochromic liquid, infrared thermometry|
|Class 7||Various types of temperature field measurement technique||Understanding of refractive index methods, absorption and emission spectroscopy|
|Class 8||Application of temperature measurement||Understanding of heat flux sensor, thermo-physical property measurement, heat transfer in polymer processing|
To enhance effective learning, students are encouraged to spend approximately 100 minutes preparing for class and another 100 minutes reviewing class content afterwards (including assignments) for each class.
They should do so by referring to textbooks and other course material.
Materials are distributed depending on the needs.
1) Students will be assessed on their understanding of measurement techniques of flow field, temperature field and physical property, and their ability to apply them to solve actual problems.
2) Students’ course score are based on exercise problems (30%) and final report (70%).
3) The weights for learning outcomes 1-2 are 30 points each, and 3 is 40 points.
The class schedule might be changed according to the circumstances of the lecturer in charge.