This course forms a central part of Tokyo Tech’s laboratory-based education and has a role complementary to the coursework based on a structured curriculum. Individual student works on a specific research topic determined through discussion with his/her academic supervisor and conducts the following items.
1) To clarify issue(s) to be solved through discussion and literature survey,
2) To establish a plan for solving the issue(s) and to modify it, if nesessary,
3) To try to solve the issues by applying his/her knowledge in and around the mechaniucal engineering field,
4) To conduct analysis and/or experiment practically and also to learn several associated activities,
5) To make discussion on the results of analysis and/or experiment,
6) To summarize the results into a report, and to make a presentation and discussion.
By the end of this course, the student will be able to:
1. Apply knowledge of Mechanical Engineering to solve problems related to the field.
2. Study the fundamentals of fields other than Mechanical Engineering independently to solve problems
3. Understand the significance of Mechanical Engineering problems, judge their influence on society, and solve them.
4. Think and explain concepts logically, discuss them, and put them in writing
5. Work as an independent researcher and have the knowledge and oral competence to present his/her point of view effectively during discussions with people including disciplines other than Mechanical Engineering.
Research activity, Planning, Literature survey, Discusison, Report, Presentation
|✔ Specialist skills||Intercultural skills||✔ Communication skills||✔ Critical thinking skills||✔ Practical and/or problem-solving skills|
Conduct laboratory work under the guidance of his/her academic supervisor. The course schedule is determined through discussions with his/her academic supervisor.
|Course schedule||Required learning|
|Class 1||Not specified||Not specified|
Evaluated as Pass or Fail based on the report and the presentation.
The student is required to have satisfied the conditions for taking “Independent research project (MEC).”