The student conducts research on a theme determined through discussions with his/her academic supervisor. The student gets a deep understanding of his/her research theme by reading related literature, and associated problems are defined and solve through research activities and discussions. While carrying our research, the student learns how to solve problems by applying specialist knowledge in his/her field as well as fundamental knowledge of other related fields that have been acquired through enrolling in various courses. He/She also learns research techniques such as collecting, analyzing, and studying data, and cultivates his/her ability to look at things from many perspectives. In addition, the student writes a thesis and makes a presentation detailing his/her research findings.
This course forms a central part of Tokyo Tech’s laboratory-based education where individual students work on a specific research theme. It has a complementary relationship with coursework based on a structured curriculum. By carrying out research, it is expected that the student will increase knowledge in his/her field and that he/she will acquire comprehensive skills to identify and develop solutions that will solve new and unsolved problems.
By the end of this course, the student will be able to:
1. Apply knowledge of Mechanical Engineering to solve problems related to the field.
2. Study the fundamentals of fields other than Mechanical Engineering independently to solve problems
3. Understand the significance of Mechanical Engineering problems, judge their influence on society, and solve them.
4. Think and explain concepts logically, discuss them, and put them in writing
5. Work as an independent researcher and have the knowledge and oral competence to present his/her point of view effectively during discussions with people including disciplines other than Mechanical Engineering.
Bachelor’s thesis, Presentation, Research theme, Problem-solving, Literature search, Ability to explain concepts logically
|✔ Specialist skills||Intercultural skills||✔ Communication skills||✔ Critical thinking skills||✔ Practical and/or problem-solving skills|
Conduct laboratory work under the guidance of his/her academic supervisor. The course schedule is determined through discussions with his/her academic supervisor.
|Course schedule||Required learning|
|Class 1||Not specified||Not specified|
The specific assessment criteria and methods, which are in accordance with student learning outcomes 1 to 5 above, will be announced after they are determined by the department.
The student is required to have satisfied the conditions for taking “Independent research project (MEC).”