Fri 1-2Session S323
Credits Lecture:2 Exercise:0 Experiment:0 / code:55016
Update : 2012/12/28
Access Index :
- Outline of lecture
- Purpose of lecture
- This lecture provides descriptions of the basic operating principles and design of solar cells, of the technology used currently to produce cells and the improved technology soon to be in operation, and of considerations of importance in the design of systems utilizing these cells.
- Plan of lecture
- 1. Sunlight, solar cells and photovoltaics
Sunlight,solar cell operation and power generation principles, solar cell modules, photovoltaics roadmap
2. Review of semiconductor properties
Crystal structure, energy bandgap, electrons and holes, doping and Fermi-level, carrier transport
3. Generation, recombination, and the basic equations of device physics
Absorption of light, recombination processes, basic equations of semiconductor devices
4. pn junction
carrier injection, dark characteristics, illuminated characteristics, solar cell output parameters
5. Efficiency limits, losses, and measurement
Efficiency limits, effect of temperature, efficiency losses, efficiency measurement
6. Standard Silicon solar cell technology
Si wafers to solar cells, solar cells to solar cell modules
7. Improved Silicon solar cell technology
Back surface field, passivation technology, PERL cell
8. Thin film solar cells
Amorphous Si, nano-silicon, Cu(InGa)Se2
9. Other device structures
III-V compound, dye-sensitized cell, organic semiconductor cells
- Textbook and reference
- M.Green, ``Solar Cells, Operating Principles, Technology, and System Applications,'' Prentice-Hall Inc.
K.Takahashi and M.Konagai, ``Amorphous Silicon Solar Cells,'' North Oxford Academic.
Others may be specified as the need arises.
- Related and/or prerequisite courses
- Basic knowledge of semiconductors would be helpful.
- Evaluation will be based on the term end examination and the exercises carried out during the classes.
- Comments from lecturer
- Exercise will be held as the need arises.
- [Office hours]
Anytime you can visit my office with permission by e-mail at email@example.com.