The data engineering is an active research area for manipulating a large amount of persistent data sophisticatedly, such as processing databases. This class focuses on advanced approaches for the mechanism, algorithm and architecture in data engineering.
Topics include transaction models, data warehousing, OLAP, indexing methods, parallel database operations, data replication, failure recovery, storage systems, workflow control system, XML databases.
1) Basic Concepts of Data Engineering
2) Transaction Models
3) Transaction-Log Analysis and Mining
4) Data Warehouse and OLAP
5) Advanced Indexing Methods
6) Cost Evaluation of Database Operations
7) Parallel Database Operations (1)
8) Parallel Database Operations (2)
9) Approaches for Balancing Loads
10) Data Replications and Recovery
11) Storage Systems
12) Distributed Transactions
13) Workflow Management Systems
14) XML Databases
Jim Gray and Andreas Reuter,
"Transaction Processing: Concept and Techniques,"
Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, 1993.
Assignments and Reports