(1) To study the theory and application of "Discrete Choice Model (DCM)", which is the most well known method of travel demand forecasting.
- Theoretical Basis: Microeconomics, Applied Statistics, Optimization Theory, Simulation
- Applications: Predicting market shares in travel demand or others, Economic evaluation of transport infrastructures
(2) To learn about some practical issues of DCM through several exercises and assignments (Model estimation with some dataset).
- BIOGEME": Free software for estimation and simulation with DCM
- Computer Labs. with dataset from various research fields such as "Transportation", "Telecommunication", "Energy appliances"and "Marketing".
(1) To learn about the theory and application of the "Discrete Choice Model (DCM)" which has been widely used in travel demand forecasting.
(2) To learn about the practice of DCM through some computer exercises using the data on transportation, telecommunication, energy and marketing.
1. Choice Behavior and Binary Choice Models
2. Estimation of Binary Choice Models
3. Exercise (1): Estimation of BCM
4. Multinomial Choice Models: Logit and Probit
5. Specification and Estimation of Multinomial Logit Model
6. Exercise (2): Estimation of MNL
7. Statistical Testing of DCM
8. IIA, Forecasting and Microsimulation
9. Exercise (3): Statistical Testing & Forecasting
10. Nested Logit Model (NL)
11. Multivariate Extreme-Value Model (MEV) & Sampling Issues
12. Exercise (4): Estimation of NL & MEV
13. Mixed Multinomial Logit Model (MXL) & Monte Carlo Integration
14. Exercise (5): Estimation of MXL
Lecture materials will be provided.
Ben-Akiva M. & Lerman S. (1985) Discrete Choice Analysis: Theory and Applications to Travel Demand, MIT Press.
Train K. (2003) Discrete Choice Methods with Simulation, Cambridge University Press.
Students are recommended to take other lectures related to Infrastructure & Transportation Planning such as Advanced Transportation Planning, Public Psychology, Advanced Theory of Construction Management, Urban Planning, Urban Transport and Environment, Planning Process for National Land and Urban Planning, Environmental Traffic Engineering, Project Evaluation for Sustainable Infrastructure.
Attendance and Home Work Assignments
Students will have to bring his/her own laptop PC for the exercise classes.