Thin film device technologies are important for the innovation in various fields such as environment, energy, medical treatment, health care, and information and communication. This class provides the basics of physics and device characteristics of advanced functional electron devices, and issues for their applications. Power devices, spin quantum functional devices, thin film devices will be explained.
The objectives of this class are to understand;
(1) The physical principles and operational characteristics of thin film devices: power devices and spin quantum devices.
(2) Issues and key technologies for the applications.
By taking this class, students are expected to get familiar with technologies and physics related to thin film devices, and to know the importance of their applications.
01. Semiconductor Physics (Review)
02. Thin film devices (I)
03. Thin film devices (II)
04. Thin film devices (III)
05. Spin quantum functional devices (I)
06. Spin quantum functional devices (II)
07. Spin quantum functional devices (III)
08. Power semiconductor devices (I)
09. Power semiconductor devices (II)
10. Power semiconductor devices (III)
11. Power semiconductor devices (IV)
13. Applications of spin quantum functional devices (I)
14. Applications of spin quantum functional devices (II)
16. Term-end Exam.
Simon M. Sze: "Semiconductor Devices: Physics and Technology", Wiley, 2001.
Y. Taur and T.H. Ning: "Fundamentals of Modern VLSI Devices", Cambridge, 1998.
B. Jayant Baliga: "Fundamentals of Power Semiconductor Devices", Springer-Verlag, 2008.
Others may be specified as the need arises
Knowledge of fundamentals on quantum mechanics and solid-state physics.
Exercises during the class (30%)
Term-end Exam. (70%)
Exercises are carried out during the classes to help understanding.